As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
When it comes to selling on eBay, very few things are actually necessary to make a business run smoothly. You don’t need personalized boxes, cute work area decorations, replacing working products, etc. Those things are cute, but if you’re looking to get into selling for maximum profit, none of those will increase your earning power.
A great postal scale, however, is one of the areas where the rubber meets the road. Having the best postal scale for eBay allows you to get accurate weights so you can charge accurate shipping!
So, of course, we have to ask, what is the best shipping scale for selling on eBay? Or for selling on Amazon? Or how about shipping products in your home-based start-up? Well, whatever your shipping needs are, rest assured that we have a scale for you…and it’s the same one for everyone.
First off, we better answer a few questions for our beginner sellers, if that’s not you, don’t worry. We won’t make you wait: here you options:
Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Now, let’s talk beginner-talk for a minute:
How do you weigh items for shipping on eBay?
In order to take advantage of calculated shipping on eBay, you need to know how much you item will weigh when it is shipped.
The easiest way to do this is to pack up the item and place it on a scale but that’s not always practical. First off, get a scale and weight the item itself. Once you have that weight, we typically add 2 ounces if the item will be going in a poly-mailer and up to a pound if it will be going in a box with packing material.
Do I need a postal scale to sell on eBay?
A postal scale is not required to list and sell items on eBay.
However, if you want to ship items from home then a scale becomes necessary so you can take full advantage of shipping discounts and calculated shipping.
There are people who sell on eBay for years without a scale by simply guessing about the weight while listing and then shipping them at the post office after they sell.
However, you might be pleasantly surprised to know that you don’t even need to buy a postal scale for eBay! A regular kitchen scale (the kind you use for food) is typically accurate enough for the small packages that beginning sellers send out.
With that being said, if you’re serious about selling on eBay (or online in general) you’ll want to invest in a scale. Now that that’s out of the way, let me show you the scale I use every day and why it just might be the best postal scale for eBay!
The Best Shipping Scale for eBay: American Weigh Scales H-Series
The H-Series from American Weigh Scales was the very first scale I purchased for our eBay business. Before that, we had trekked to the post office every day after work so we could ship out all of our packages.
I always told Kirstie that we would buy a “better” higher capacity scale when we wore this one out. One day, someone (it was me) stepped on the screen and crushed the display. Instead of ordering a larger more industrial type scale, I found ourselves reordering the H-Series.
This is the most bulletproof scale I have ever used that comes in such a compact package. You get all the durability of an industrial scale that can easily fit on your home office desk. As an added bonus, it comes with wall mounting hardware for the detached readout and can either be plugged in or run on batteries.
- Durability: Our first scale lasted 3 years with absolutely no issues until it got stepped on. 2 days after we got the new scale I spilled water all of the screen which caused some really erratic weights. An hour later though it had dried out and worked perfectly again. The scale feels quality!
- Plug & Play: You can take this scale out of the box and be weighing items within a minute. No calibration needed.
- Detached Screen: A detached screen is absolutely necessary on a shipping scale. Otherwise the box you’re weighing covers up the readout and you end up doing gymnastics to try and see the weight.
- Battery or Plug: Multiple power sources means that we never get caught without batteries.
- Lower Capacity: In 5 years on eBay and Amazon we haven’t yet shipped a package that exceeded the weight capacity of this scale. If you routinely ship livestock or furniture you should probably be looking for a different type of scale anyway.
- Unstable Platform: Because the platform is so compact, it can be slightly unstable when you try to balance very large or oddly shaped boxes on it.
All in all, this is the best postal scale you can get for eBay and it’s not going to break the bank! If you’re stilling shipping from the post office, this will save you a ton of money over time. If you’re shipping from home with a scale (why are you doing that?) then this will keep you from overpaying or having packages returned!
The Best eBay Shipping Scale for Sellers of Huge Items: The ACCUTECK ACB440
If you have a little more cash to burn, are trying to match the decorations in your warehouse, or have a habit of sending out large packages, Accuteck’s ACB440 might be the better choice for you. It has nearly all the advantages of the H-Series Scale but with the added bonuses of a larger platform and higher capacity. If you are routinely sending out large packages (75+ pounds) then this is the direction you’ll want to go.
- Higher Capacity: To be honest, this is the one main pull of this scale. It is like the big brother of the H-Series and can handle 4 times the weight!
- Large Platform: The larger platform of the Accuteck is the definite winner in the stability section. The time when we prefer this scale is when we are setting large boxes of books on it for Amazon FBA. It’s super stable!
- Size. If you have a limited amount of desk/work space this scale takes up more space when it’s out and is more difficult to store away.
- Durability Concerns. Some people have reported durability or calibration issues with this scale. While it wasn’t as good as the H-Series right out of the box we’ve had no major issues with it.
- Questionable Accuracy. With a scale that measure up to 440 pounds many people have expressed concern over it’s accuracy under 1lb. If you ship a lot of First Class Mail this may be an issue for you.
The Cheapest eBay Shipping Scale:
If you are pinching every single penny, there are cheaper options on Amazon, but there are none that beat the above options in durability and overall function.
Completing the Set-up: If you want to ship your eBay items as quickly and professionally as possible, you’ll also need to invest in a thermal printer. While you don’t have to have a thermal printer to sell on eBay (since you can print labels on a normal printer and tape them to packages) they are much cheaper to use, print faster, and look much more professional. After you choose a scale, check out our article on The Best Shipping Label Printer for eBay.
Weighting the Results
So in the end, maybe there isn’t so much a “winner” but two different scales that serve different purposes. Either of them could probably be considered the best postal scale for eBay sellers, but for the average home business, we recommend the H-Series to everyone that asks. Whatever one you choose, may you set thousands of packages on it and need to buy multiple scales for all your employees soon! Happy Shipping!